The Nursing Professional Practice Council is responsible for the oversight of all professional practice activities for Nursing Services.
The Nursing Professional Practice Council's activities are based on an integrated organizational model. Individual nursing department/units and services are responsible for their own practice activities that articulate with this council's standards. They are responsible for communication between departments/units and services and this council, as it relates to the clinical practice of nursing at LBMMC and MCH.
The Nursing Professional Practice Council will ensure the design, structure, and delivery of clinical nursing services at LBMMC and MCH. Activities:
Responsibilities and Functions
- Are directed and coordinated to meet the individual needs of patients and their significant others.
- Ensure nursing practice is evidence-based and/or congruent with or leading to community and regional standards.
- Facilitate the nurse's utilization of human and material resources to provide quality cost efficient care.
- Support the clinical and leadership development of the professional nurse.
- Are consistent with internal standards and standards promulgated by appropriate professional organizations, community and regional standards, and accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Are linked to the Nursing Performance Improvement Council and the Workforce Strategy Council through the Nurse Executive Council (NEC).
- Are linked with department and/or unit based council.
- Interface with the medical staff, and other clinical and support services.
The Nursing Professional Practice Council shall be responsible for the coordination of nursing practice activities which support and ensure the maintenance of a high level of clinical practice, leadership development, and to facilitate high quality, cost efficient nursing care at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center and Miller Children's Hospital.
This includes but is not limited to the coordination and oversight of the following processes:
- Identify clinical practice programs and systems which support the philosophy of nursing and the mission and values of MemorialCare.
- Review and identify external issues as they effect the practice of nursing.
- Utilize the planning process to develop or modify clinical programs, systems and services that support professional nursing practice.
- Review all standards, policies and procedures that relate to or specifically affect nursing clinical practice.
- Support clinical and leadership development through professional career advancement processes and nursing education.
- Collaborate with the Nursing Performance Improvement Council, the Nursing Workforce Strategy Council and the NEC and establish linkages with the medical staff, and other clinical and support services to facilitate the integration and coordination of nursing practice activities.